SOAG gallery members:
- Show artwork in the main gallery space once every two years in a shared show or a once every four years in a solo show.
- Show individual artwork in the Salon or group shows at least eight times a year.
- Collaborate with a creative group of local artists to promote visual arts sales in Ithaca
- Benefit from the support of fellow artist members
- Staff the gallery each month for 5-6 hours, and sign up for gallery cleaning once a year.
- Attend gallery openings and special events.
- Pay annual membership dues (currently $355 annually), 10% commission to gallery for artwork sold, and exhibition fees.
- Attend monthly membership meetings.
- Participate in running the gallery by working on at least one committee including membership, reception, installation, publicity, internship, technical support, special events, gallery operations and/or marketing.
What is SOAG looking for in selecting new artist members?
- Original vision
- Quality craftsmanship
- Record of creative accomplishment
- Presentation of work
- Commitment to the cooperative vision of the gallery
Guidelines for preparing a portfolio
SOAG Membership Application Process
The gallery maintains a membership roster of 30 members. Applications for membership are reviewed once a year in early spring, when vacancies are available. This year there are openings for up to two new artist members. Applications are due by March 1, 2017. Upon review, applicants will be invited for portfolio presentation and interview on March 13. You will bring 8-12 pieces of actual work, along with the aforementioned portfolio. Bring finished artwork that is framed, wired, and ready to hang. Members will ask questions about your technique, method, and motivations; and what skills you would bring to help run the gallery. You can ask us questions about the gallery, tell us why you’re interested in being a member, and any additional information that you would like us to know about you. Final determination of new members will be made in April 2016 by a vote of the membership.
- 12 – 20 digital images with list of works including title, medium, size and date for each image.
- Resume, record of exhibitions
- artist statement
Email all application materials to: Membership@Soag.org